Making a delicious pig roast is not an easy job, but with La Caja China roasters it can be easy as 1-2-3. So if it is your first time preparing a whole pig roast, it is always good listen to experts tips and tricks, to get the best results. If things go wrong with cooking, that is a whole pig that is going to be wasted. But do not worry, we will share with you great tips and if you follow them, your pig roast is going to be delicious, well cooked with crispy skin and juicy & tender meat.
So start taking notes
1. Always buy a pig that is not only fresh, but also clean. You can buy the whole hog at butchers, special meat stores or big food markets. Sometimes you have to order them in advance, so keep that in mind.
2. Know that the weight of a dressed pig equals to 70 % of the live weight. The edible part of a dressed pig on the other hand is about 30 to 50 %. So calculate how much weight your pig is going to be.
3. When using charcoal, always keep in mind, how hot your coals are and when to change them and when to clean the ashes.
4. If you want a smoky flavor in your pig roast, put some aromatic wood chips when the pig is almost cooked.
5. Using a dry rub on the pig before roasting will certainly add even more flavor!
6. Do not use sweet flavor in your dry rub, because it will caramelize in heat and burn the skin and making it not very tasty. Using meat injector will help to add flavor to meat, on the skin use salt only. If that isn’t an option for you, you can glaze your pig an hour before it gets cooked.
7. While roasting the pig inside the box, you can always use the hot coals and grill meat and vegetables on them.
8. Roughly and hour before the pig is done roasting, turn it around to skin side, make cuts in it and check from time to time not to burn your roast. At this point in time it can happen quickly, so be very careful.
9. When the skin is crispy enough to your liking, your first pig roast is done! Now all you have to do is carve it up and serve it.
We hope that you find these tips valuable when barbecuing hogs. For more roast pig recipes, tips & tricks and instructions, always check back on our blog! And if you need barbecue grills, replacement parts visit our website or send us email at email@example.com.